Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Shalom!

"He" means five in Hebrew

It's sundown, so it means it is the first day of Hanukkah! In honor of this, we are counting down in Hebrew tonight. Greer is with her friend, Mr. Matzo, a toy that I got in Chicago at a Walgreens a long time ago as a joke. I thought it was kind of cute and funny that a piece of unleavened bread was turned into a stuffed toy, probably because a Catholic version would be Mr. Communion Wafer! Which of course, would never get made because it's probably a mortal sin or something...

I know matzo is associated more with Passover, but I don't have anything else in the house! That takes me back to The Bagel restaurant in Lakeview and the awesome mish-mash soup, cinnamon rugelach and all of the other delicious Jewish comfort food they had...yum.

I told Alex that Hanukkah started tonight and he told me that they got to play with dreidels and learned all about the menorah and candles at school. He was surprised when I started to sing the "Dreidel Song", but of course, I only knew the first verse, and as I found out, so did he!

Happy Hanukkah, everyone!

No comments: