Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Turkey Time!

Before we dig into the Butterball variety, I made turkey for Alex's birthday celebration at school on Monday. Since he was born on Thanksgiving, I always like to do something kind of festive for his class treats. A trip to Hy-Vee at 6 a.m. on Monday morning and a venti coffee to fuel my dream of Oreo turkeys was all it took...

The supplies: candy corn, Double Stuf Oreo (you must use this variety!), frosting, Rollos (substituted for mini-peanut butter cups) and chocolate-covered raisins, which I did not end up using.

I originally started out stacking one Oreo on top of another, but I quickly realized that my poor math skills caught up with me again, and I didn't have enough. So, I saw a version with the top of the Oreo taken off for the base, and I did that instead. The Oreo halves left over without the white filling, I simply used vanilla frosting on and they turned out fine. I recommend NOT doing this first, and assembling the body and head before affixing it to the base.
 
Make the turkey body - stick candy corns in between the cookies, push lightly (cookies will break easily) and not too deep.
 
Making the turkey heads - first, take a candy corn, remove the tip of it, apply it to the Rollo with a dab of frosting. Take black icing and add two eyes.

Gobble, gobble! Here are the finished turkeys! You can make a more detailed one with arms and feet (using more candy corns). I didn't feel like it and thought this turned out really cute.


No comments: