Monday, February 09, 2009

Second (Class) City


Chicago --- The Worst Place On Earth?
According to Forbes.com, it's the third most miserable city in the country! (And even more surprising, Chicago is higher on the list than Detroit! I mean, Detroit --- where this kind of stuff happens!)

From Forbes.com: "Chicago would seem to be on quite a roll these days. The city is a leading contender to host the Summer Olympics in 2016. The hometown Cubs had the most wins of any team in the National League last year and are one of the early favorites to win the 2009 World Series. And, of course, one of its own just became the most powerful person in the world (we're not talking about Oprah either, but she's close).

So with all of the good vibes coming out of Chicago, how does it show up as the third worst city on our second annual list of America's Most Miserable Cities?

Lousy weather, long commutes, rising unemployment and the highest sales tax rate in the country are to blame for the Windy City being near the top of our list. High rates of corruption by public officials didn't help either."

Read the rest of the article here.

I will be the first to agree that Chicago in the wintertime is probably the most miserable place on earth sans Green Bay. If you aren't worried about digging your car out from the snow and saving the spot, a la "dibs",

or making sure that you have enough layers on to handle the walks to and from public transportation,

then you're probably dodging falling icicles from skyscrapers,

or braving the Lake Michigan Zephyr as it roars off the shore and flattens your face.
All photos courtesy of the Chicago Tribune.

One time I remember waiting for the 151 bus at Sheridan and Diversey...and waiting...and waiting. It was one of those -20 wind chill days where exposed skin can get frostbite in about 5 minutes. No cabs were available, a bus or two went by without stopping because it was so packed. I remember wanting to cry so badly because I was so bone-chillingly miserable and cold...only to consider that my lashes would probably freeze to my brows if I did. Thankfully, an office building lobby was open or I would probably be missing a finger or toe.

I really was not looking forward to having to drive regularly when I moved to DM. And part of me still hates being dependent on a car. But not during the winter time. Oh, sweet, sweet garage! You make "dibs" meaningless...my patio furniture never has to double for a parking spot!

No comments: